SCIENCE + TECHNOLOGY
Utah Geological Survey learning more on connection between Wasatch and West Valley fault lines
May 16, 2023, 6:30 PM | Updated: May 17, 2023, 8:09 am
(Mengshin Lin/Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — Scientists are learning just how connected the Wasatch Fault line is to the West Valley fault line.
Project Geologist with the Utah Geological Survey Adam Hiscock says the survey’s newest project, a trench dug along the fault lines, is helping the agency understand how earthquakes interact. Thanks to the trench, Utah geologists are able to see up to 15,000 years of fault activity.
“So, we think that, you know, if you have a really big earthquake on the Salt Lake City segment of the Wasatch Fault Zone … after that earthquake’s occurred it could potentially trigger an earthquake on the West Valley Fault Zone,” Hiscock said.
The trench revealed how the 2020 earthquake just north of Magna left the West Valley fault lines with multiple aftershocks.
- Magna earthquake helps scientists understand Utah’s vulnerability
- Morning earthquake in Magna felt throughout valley
- 3.2 earthquake hits Corinne, Utah. Did you feel it?
- Utah woman raises funds for family in Turkey, Syria after earthquake
- Another earthquake hits Utah, near Magna
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful