EDUCATION + SCHOOLS
Summer schools focusing on literacy and math, keeping students form ‘backsliding’
May 22, 2023, 8:00 PM
SALT LAKE CITY — For the past three summers, Davis School District has shifted to a primary focus on literacy and math. Post-Pandemic, the need for extra help in those subjects has increased.
Traci Robbins, Executive Director of Elementary Schools in Davis County says it really has made a big difference.
“That consistency and that continuity in instruction is critical to retention of learning,” Robbins says.
She says summer school students don’t have the backslide that happens to a lot of students. However, students have to be recommended by their teacher in order to be invited to the summer school program.
Each district in Utah runs their summer programs individually and not every district has a program.
“This helps level the playing field for those students who are going to enter the next grade level,” Robbins says.
- Most Utah high schools have a high graduation rate
- Is chocolate milk in schools on the chopping block?
- State School Board restores climate change science standard by 1 vote
- Salt Lake City School District announces new superintendent
- Changing to student-centered learning in Utah schools
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Utah House leader signals change to special election law to fill Rep. Stewart’s seat
- Teenager drowns at Palisade State Park after getting caught in storm, officials say
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15
- Salt Lake City police investigate after fatal overnight shooting outside of New Yorker night club
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Four killed, including toddler, after plane crashed in Virginia