Owner says Spanish Fork daycare is safe after toddler hit by bullet
May 23, 2023, 10:10 AM | Updated: 3:08 pm
(Aimee Cobabe, KSL NewsRadio)
SPANISH FORK, Utah — The owner of a daycare where a 2-year-old was hit by a stray bullet on Monday, says the facility is safe.
Spanish Fork Police said that, on Monday, the child was hit in the head by a small caliber bullet while in a fenced area of Leap Ahead Daycare.
The daycare is near 2000 North and 300 West in Spanish Fork.
Police said several kids were playing in an outdoor, fenced area of the daycare when an adult staff member saw one of the children fall. The child was “bleeding from the face” according to police.
The parents were called, and police said the parents took their child to a hospital.
After running scans, doctors said they found the bullet lodged in the child’s head.
He was taken to Primary Children’s Hospital and is in stable condition.
KSL NewsRadio spoke to the daycare owner, Lane Mugleston, on Tuesday. He said the fence in question is a privacy fence, and that nobody can see inside.
“It’s a secure play area,” Mugleston said. And he said that the police told him this was likely just an accident.
“Even this morning, the officer who’s on it (the shooting case) told us that there shouldn’t be any worry at all for our parents, for this location, for our kids, and that we could totally take them outside,” Mugleston said.
However, today the children are playing inside.
In a press release, police said there is a field directly west of the daycare and that the bullet may have originated there.
- Small plane crashes into Spanish Fork Airport hangar, no injuries
- Employees safe after hazmat called to Spanish Fork business
- Water main break in Spanish Fork floods seven homes
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Church announces site of Charlotte North Carolina Temple
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Adult filmmakers ask judge to delay Utah law requiring porn sites verify user ages
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- Herriman couple ‘lucky to be alive’ after socket smashes windshield
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows