American Fork Jr. High student detained after handgun found in backpack
May 24, 2023, 1:53 PM | Updated: May 25, 2023, 11:09 am
(Aimee Cobabe/KSL NewsRadio)
AMERICAN FORK, Utah — Students, teachers, staff, and police are safe after police responded to American Fork Junior High on Wednesday. They were called after a student saw a handgun in another student’s backpack, and notified a teacher.
Police said it was American Fork Junior High School’s resource officer that detained and secured the student in question.
Classes operated normally despite a “hold” status that kept students in their classrooms. The hold was released when police determined that there were not threats to other students or school personnel.
“Although the department’s investigation is still ongoing, it was determined the juvenile male was the one who brought the handgun to school and it appears that he acted alone,” said a release from American Fork Police.
An investigation into how the student got the handgun, and why the student brought the handgun to American Fork Junior High, is ongoing.
- Student found with unloaded gun at Tooele Junior High
- Officials outline safety plans following gun incident at Canyon View High
- Draper Park Middle School student uses SafeUT app to report gun on campus
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Winners announced of SLC Ballpark Next Design competition
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Church announces site of Charlotte North Carolina Temple
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Adult filmmakers ask judge to delay Utah law requiring porn sites verify user ages