Neighbor’s fireworks ignite home, Payson man displaced
Jul 26, 2023, 8:31 AM | Updated: 10:44 am
(Annie Barker/Deseret News)
PAYSON— A Payson man’s house is now unlivable. Officials said fireworks his neighbors were shooting off, lit his home on fire Tuesday night.
Payson Fire and Rescue Chief Scott Spencer said they were called around 11:18 p.m. to the fire near 900 East and 300 North.
Spencer said their firefighters were there in just four minutes and had the fire out 20 minutes after that.
Spencer said neighbors in the area were shooting off fireworks, but they fell over, sending them straight toward the man’s home.
The fireworks lit the man’s bushes on fire, which spread to the family room and the attic.
Spencer estimates the fire caused between $100,000 to $150,000 worth of damage.
Spencer said the neighbors pounded on the door, which woke the man up and helped him escape from the home safely.
It’s unclear whether charges will be filed in this case since officials are ruling it an accident.
According to Utah law, people can fire off their fireworks in approved areas from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. July 22 to July 25. On Pioneer Day itself, the deadline is extended to midnight.
Spencer later called on people to secure their fireworks with bricks or some other method.
- Illegal fireworks to blame for fire that burned 3 homes, neighbors say
- Spanish Fork house catches fire after fireworks not properly extinguished