South Ogden Junior High evacuated following bathroom fire
Oct 23, 2023, 12:26 PM | Updated: Oct 25, 2023, 12:51 pm
SOUTH OGDEN, Utah — South Ogden Junior High has been evacuated following a fire caused by students.
“We had what we believe some kids start a fire in one of the restrooms by lighting the towel dispenser,” said Lane Findlay, the community relations specialist for Weber School District.
The fire grew out of control, however. The school’s sprinkler and suppression system was set off.
Fire damage was contained to the bathroom, however, other parts of the school sustained smoke and water damage.
“So, there’s quite a bit of water in the north end of the building, particularly in that restroom area,” Findlay said.
Students have been sent home for the day so that the mess can be cleaned up, according to Findlay.
Related reading: Restaurant on Beck St. severely damaged after fire Saturday morning