Family credits teen with saving house from kitchen fire
WEST VALLEY — A teen’s quick thinking kept a small kitchen fire from decimating a house last week.
Late Friday night, 13-year-old Mackenzie Wright says she woke up to the smell of smoke.
“I couldn’t breathe at first then I thought it was a dream so I went back to bed,” Wright said. “Then I woke up again and I realized this isn’t a dream.”
She woke up her mother and the pair ran to the kitchen, finding a pan of rice in flames.
“The pan was just on fire. I turned on the water and she grabbed the pan and put it in there,” Wright said.
It turns out a roommate fell alseep while making dinner. The flames produced so much smoke Wright’s family says surveillance cameras outside the home caught video of the vapor pouring out of the home’s windows. No one was hurt, but Wright joked in the future it would safer if their family’s exhausted cooks just order take out.
Today’s Top Stories
- Search for wanted fugitive in Tooele is unsuccessful
- Deputies say evidence pointing to likely homicide in case of Dylan Rounds
- Salt Lake County DA discusses Biden’s pardon of marijuana possession
- Odd smell coming from North Salt Lake goes unidentified
- 13 year old hospitalized after being run over in Bountiful
- UPDATE: SLCPD releases new information about Meadows Park shooting
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Pioneer Park Coalition announces plan to combat crime, homelessness
- Utah debates: Here’s how 3rd District candidates stand on the issues (Rep. John Curtis…
- FBI seeking information on whereabouts of serial bank robber