Salt Lake City-area Imam stuck in Kenya on visa hold
SALT LAKE CITY — A group of Utah lawyers is working to try and bring a Utah man back to the United States from Kenya.
Refugee Justice League co-founder Jim McConkie says the man is a Muslim Imam in the Salt Lake City area.
“I’ve been out to his mosque two or three times, I know him personally, and this was just a shock,” said McConkie.
McConkie says Yussuf Awadir left Kenya as a refugee but is an American citizen. He went back to get his wife and children and was stopped from getting on a flight Wednesday night.
Today’s Top Stories
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- South Jordan could see new housing development
- The road home is in need of donations and volunteers this winter
- Suspect still at large after double homicide in Taylorsville
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Why is there an increase of wildlife in SLC neighborhoods?
- Crash in Uintah County claims the life of a 19-year-old man
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Monday morning’s cold temperatures nearly set new records