SALT LAKE COUNTY – If your weekend plans included a drive between Salt Lake County and Park City, you’ll need to plan a little extra time for your ride.
Last weekend, the westbound lanes of I-80 were closed near the mouth of Parley’s Canyon. This weekend, the eastbound lanes will be shut down between 2300 East and Foothill. UDOT Spokesman John Gleason says, “We’re breaking up the concrete and laying down a new layer of asphalt.” This will make the freeway smoother, as well as extending the life of the freeway.
However, Gleason says they know this will be inconvenient. “When we’re taking traffic from the three lanes on I-80 and putting it onto the I-215 East ramp, which is just one lane, that’s where we could see a bottleneck this weekend,” he explains. He says drivers will be taken off I-80 and sent to 3300 South. After that, they can hop on to I-215’s east side, then reconnect to I-80.
They’re recommending people completely avoid that part of the freeway, but, he knows that’s not an option for all drivers. “If you have to drive on I-80, just give yourself some extra time. We’re anticipating, at its worst, it could take 30 minutes. We could see 30 minute delays there.”
(Photo Credit: Adobe Stock)
Today’s Top Stories
- A two-vehicle accident in northern Utah claims one life
- Fire burning at old Diamond Lil’s, set for destruction on Sunday
- Instagram user says she saw Petito and Laundrie in Wyoming restaurant
- Board of Education to investigate Cline post on Racial Healing Group
- Police say witness beat up minister for inappropriately touching a child at an OK bus stop
- Utah Jazz require COVID-19 vaccine or negative test for fans, new rule sparks heated reaction
- Utah Jazz add Holly Rowe to TV broadcast team
- Utah man has sights on a record-breaking pumpkin
- Mental health magnet being mailed to Alpine District parents
- Boyfriend of slain Gabby Petito charged with bank card fraud