Teen sentenced for sexting with girlfriend
CACHE COUNTY – A case of sexting between an 18 year- old Logan man and his underage girlfriend leads to him being sentenced to jail time.
Prosecutors say Jacob Wilson was sentenced to 101 days in jail for criminal mischief and dealing in harmful materials to a minor. Cache County Chief Prosecutor Spencer Walsh says the criminal mischief charge stemmed from Wilson shooting out roughly 20 windows with a friend. The harmful materials charge stemmed from the images that were found on his computer. Walsh says there were more than just a few. “There were 30 pictures that were found on the laptop and there were several videos,” he says.
What’s even more concerning to Walsh was the fact that the images were on Wilson’s school issued laptop. Walsh says, “Given the device [the images were] on, it had the potential to be viewed by other classmates.”
Prosecutors say they don’t have any indication the sexual images were shared or seen by any other students. Former sex crimes prosecutor Greg Skordas say if the pictures had been shared, Wilson would be in a lot more trouble. Skordas says, “Possession is a crime, but, distribution is a much more serious crime. Had he sent these images to his friends or had he posted them on the internet, for example, it would have been a much more serious crime.”
Wilson was given credit for the 81 days in jail he had already served.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Walmart shooter left ‘death note,’ bought gun day of killing
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]