One dead, five hurt in head-on crash at Bonneville Salt Flats
WENDOVER — One man died, five other people were hurt when a van and a pick-up truck collided on the Bonneville Salt Flats. It happened during the Bonneville Speedway’s annual Speed Week, but did not involve cars that were racing.
Race Manager Pat McDowell said it happened at about 8:30 Wednesday morning in an area between the gate and the pits. It was east of an area that had been coned off for a roadway leading to the exit. McDowell said there were no witnesses, but that emergency crews on stand-by for the races responded to help.
The victims were part of support teams for some of the racers. “Shook me up. It probably shook everyone here up,” said McDowell. “Just a horrific thing to happen.”
The Tooele County Sheriff’s office is investigating, but deputies say it appears one vehicle veered, for some reason, in front of the other.
There are few road markings in the area and the posted speed limit if 55mph.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah
- Five-planet alignment may be visible in Tuesday night’s sky
- Body of snowmobiler found following avalanche in Pole Canyon
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- Utah psychiatrist peers into dark mind of school shooter
- Van bridge in place after S-Line loses power
- Body found by passersby on southbound I-15 at 600 North
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Listen more, talk less, when addressing school shootings with your kids