Man dead, two officers injured in downtown shooting
SALT LAKE CITY – One man is dead and two officers were taken to a hospital with non life-threatening injuries after an officer-involved shooting.
Police were responding to calls of a trespasser in downtown Salt Lake City. This eventually led to a fight with the suspect before shots were fired which left the man dead at a Maverik gas station on the corner about 300 South and 500 East.
“It’s a popular area, lots of people around,” Salt Lake City police detective Robert Ungricht says. “So there are numerous witnesses that are here that our investigators from West Valley will be talking with.”
Witnesses at the scene say they heard 8 or 9 shots fired in rapid succession, but detectives are still trying to gather more information. The West Valley Police Department will handle the investigation.
Police did not say which business made the call before the shooting.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Letters from surviving roommates read at church memorial service for slain University of…
- Elon Musk speaks out on ‘Twitter Files’ release detailing platform’s inner…
- Bob McGrath, original ‘Sesame Street’ cast member, dead at 90
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral