Man dead, two officers injured in downtown shooting
SALT LAKE CITY – One man is dead and two officers were taken to a hospital with non life-threatening injuries after an officer-involved shooting.
Police were responding to calls of a trespasser in downtown Salt Lake City. This eventually led to a fight with the suspect before shots were fired which left the man dead at a Maverik gas station on the corner about 300 South and 500 East.
“It’s a popular area, lots of people around,” Salt Lake City police detective Robert Ungricht says. “So there are numerous witnesses that are here that our investigators from West Valley will be talking with.”
Witnesses at the scene say they heard 8 or 9 shots fired in rapid succession, but detectives are still trying to gather more information. The West Valley Police Department will handle the investigation.
Police did not say which business made the call before the shooting.
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- UPDATE: SLCPD investigating party shooting that left one in critical condition
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Semi-truck rolls on I-80 at U.S.-40, Silver Creek Junction
- Fourth of July weekend weather conditions ripe for fires
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers