Remains found near Dog Lake confirmed as human
DOG LAKE – Police say the remains found by two hikers near Dog Lake are human, but, they still have many questions about how the person died.
This investigation started after a dog went off trail around Dog Lake. Unified Police Lieutenant Brian Lohrke says, “The hikers went to go find the dog and found skeletal remains.”
Lohrke says the body was in an advanced stage of decomposition. However, the hikers were not able to tell exactly what they found. “At that point, they were not sure, because of the darkness, were not sure if it was animal or human at the time. They marked the area properly and called the Unified Police Department,” Lohrke says. Search crews were sent up to the area in the morning and confirmed the bones were that of a human.
Investigators have a lead on who the remains might belong to. Lohrke says Blake Richardson disappeared from near the area last December, however, the medical examiner has not confirmed if the remains are his. “They go through a series of different tests for identification. We’ve sometimes found out the same day. Sometimes it has been a couple days. Sometimes, it has been months.”
Lohrke also says there are no clear clues about how the person died.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted