Matthew Baiamonte got into sports broadcasting at a young age when he became the play-by-play “Voice of the Vikings” at Pleasant Grove High School as a senior in 2006. He covered both the men’s basketball and football teams on KPGR 88.1FM.
Following an LDS mission in Switzerland and France, Matt continued chasing his dream of being a sports broadcaster by becoming the voice of the women’s basketball team at Utah Valley University, while studying broadcast journalism at the school. Soon after, he became the play-by-play voice of the women’s volleyball team. He continues those roles today.
During his time at UVU, Matt earned an internship with KSL as “intern Matt” for Greg Wrubell during the initial season of independence. He was the first intern in the program to be assigned on-field work during home games. He’ll never forget being in the south end zone when Riley Nelson led an improbable comeback against the Aggies.
Upon graduation in 2013, Matt joined the Utah Jazz as a broadcast assistant working with David Locke. He enjoyed assisting all visiting NBA broadcasters, especially the Los Angeles Lakers. A lifelong Lakers fan, Matt was in the final media scrum for Kobe Bryant’s last game in Salt Lake City. Talking with Kobe will always be one of his most memorable moments in his career.
Matt is thrilled to be a part of the KSL sports team as a host of Cougar Sports Saturday. He grew up listening to BYU games on the legacy home of BYU sports, and it’s a privilege to be part of the team.
Contact Matt at email@example.com.
Today’s Top Stories
- BREAKING: Overdue skier found dead after hours of search and rescue efforts
- Teen accused of killing Hunter High students could be charged as an adult
- Wordle, the easy online word game that’s easy to love
- BYU and partners offer COVID-19 testing for symptomatic individuals
- The woman who almost played for the Jazz has died
- Vehicle reels from crash and falls off embankment, injures two
- Sen. President Adams says he’s safe to return to work after positive COVID test
- How long can I reuse and wear my face mask or respirator?
- Three suspects at large after home invasion, shooting in Rose Park
- Which Utah schools are remote and which schools are in person?