What Is A Jumbo Loan and Do You Need One? Jumbo Loans Are Available To Utah Home Buyers
Jun 4, 2020, 1:51 PM | Updated: 2:08 pm
This article about Jumbo loans is sponsored by Altabank, helping Utah Home Buyers Secure Jumbo Mortgage Loans. Member FDIC
While in the midst of an extremely uncertain economic climate, people across the country are still buying new houses, especially in Utah where our market is still very strong. The housing market is seeing historically low-interest rates and a lot of homebuyers are taking advantage of the unforeseen benefit. However, the liquidity crunch from the market also has had a few negative impacts including causing some of the banks and brokers to pull back on some of the programs they typically offer for homebuyers. It has resulted in frustration for not only buyers but sellers too. A way to help supplement these setbacks is looking into getting a jumbo loan.
What is a Jumbo Loan?
A jumbo loan is what someone might typically use to buy a luxury home, but it is also something to consider during this time in particular. By definition, a jumbo loan (or a jumbo mortgage) is any loan over $510,400 nationwide. There are some counties that might have exceptions to this though.
A jumbo loan is a loan for any amount that exceeds the ‘conforming loan limit’. Because of that, jumbo loans are not covered under the Federal Housing Finance Agency (Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae). Jumbo loans have exceptionally good interest rates right now, and they are available at many local community banks who make it as easy as possible to obtain.
What are the Requirements for Jumbo Loans?
Before pursuing a jumbo loan, it’s important to keep in mind that there are generally higher qualification requirements for jumbo loans than traditional, or conforming, mortgage loans such as a higher credit score and income, additional assets, additional appraisals, and larger down payment. Further, these loans generally have higher interest rates and closing costs than traditional or conforming mortgage loans.
If you are looking to buy a new luxury home, a jumbo mortgage might be right for you. Be sure to do your research and talk with your local community bank to see if a jumbo loan is right for you.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- El Nino has returned. What does that mean for Utah?
- New distribution center dedicated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- SLC Council issues statement on UTA Pride bus being pulled from parade
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Identities released of Hyrum couple found dead in their home
- Service animal removed from grocery store. Does the ADA allow that?
- Seven months into Adderall shortage, expert offers advice
- Romney: Trump brought charges upon himself, is innocent until proven guilty
- Utah man sues Alaska State Troopers, claims conditional job offer revoked over HIV status
- Two found dead after shooting at Cache County home