Andy Farnsworth joined KSL’s airwaves from inside an airplane back in 2003. For almost a decade Andy was the state of Utah’s only airborne traffic reporter and was KSL NewsRadio’s “Eye in the Sky” for several years as well before finally landing in the KSL Traffic Center. He still delivers your morning traffic reports during “Utah’s Morning News” on KSL NewsRadio from 5-9 AM and for BYU football home games. For seven years he was a traffic reporter for KSL 5 TV and now reviews movies for their morning news show.
Andy has been involved with traffic reporting in one form or another since 1998 when he started his radio career with Metro Networks as an intern who handed out traffic updates to on-air talent during morning drive time. After that, he got a shot producing the traffic updates, spent some time writing and producing news and sports copy for radio, then became the airborne traffic reporter for three stations in 2000 because he says he was “literally the only person there at the time who didn’t get airsick in the plane.” He spent nearly 10,000 hours in that little Cessna 172 and was in the traffic plane during the 9/11 attacks, the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics and almost all of the I-15 reconstruction projects. One time he & his pilot made an unscheduled landing at Camp Williams just before the Olympics and had Homeland Security agents show up with guns drawn to find out why.
Andy has Associate’s degree from Salt Lake Community College and a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Utah (despite being a lifelong BYU fan). He says he went to the U of U because “it was the university closest to the airport,” but also admits he had a great experience there. He speaks Portuguese, a language he learned serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Salvador, Brazil.
Andy is a Utah native, born in Provo and raised in West Jordan where he now resides with his amazing wife Lori and their six children. He loves reading and things that make him laugh. He is an admitted geek, with a particular fondness for Star Wars and comic books and has a surprisingly large amount of useless sports and pop culture trivia stored in his head—information he readily uses on KSL’s “Fan Effect” podcast (formerly “SLC Fanboys”)—available on the KSL NewsRadio app or on Apple podcasts.
Some things you probably didn’t know about Andy: He was named “BYU SuperFan of the Week” by KSL Radio way back in 1989 and still has the certificate & commemorative mug; Also, Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill, once tweeted a reply to him, officially making them best friends (probably).
Contact Andy at email@example.com.
- Ex-police chief speaks out on shooting of 13-year-old Linden Cameron | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 4562)
- Grand jury indicts 1 police officer in Breonna Taylor death (pageviews: 1986)
- Utah County passes mask mandate effective immediately | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1736)
- Provo, Orem to move to "orange" during COVID-19 uptick (pageviews: 1648)
- Utah County passes mask mandate effective immediately (pageviews: 1611)
- Navajo to extend weekend lockdown because of new virus cases | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1442)
- Sen. Mitt Romney says he will not block a vote on SCOTUS nominee (pageviews: 1283)
- Ex-police chief speaks out on shooting of 13-year-old Linden Cameron (pageviews: 1262)