Dave Cawley might have been born to fly. His brother, father and grandfather have all made their livings in the cockpits of commercial aircraft. Dave decided at a young age to pursue a different path. He took the microphone instead of the yoke. Instead of starting his announcements with “this is your captain speaking,” he now has the honor to say “KSL news time is…”
Born and raised in Utah, Dave has spent the entirety of his career in the Beehive State. He is a graduate of the University of Utah’s journalism school and went to work as a field reporter directly out of college in the early 2000s. He joined KSL in 2012, taking over as the Executive Producer for the afternoon news. In early 2018, he moved into a new role as Executive Producer of Digital Content. In this position, he oversees KSL’s investigative podcasting efforts.
Outside of the newsroom, Dave enjoys exploring the nooks of America’s backcountry. He has backpacked from the high Rockies to the depths of red rock canyons. His nature photos have also been exhibited in museums, including the Natural History Museum of Utah and the High Desert Museum in Bend, Oregon.
- Utah's number of deaths from COVID-19 jumps to 8 (pageviews: 3800)
- Emergency responders urge tourists to stay home after rescue in Emery County (pageviews: 3191)
- Catch this week's supermoon, biggest and brightest of year (pageviews: 2806)
- President Nelson calls on Latter-day Saints for "solemn assembly" (pageviews: 2368)
- Utah officials report first COVID-19 diagnosis at long-term care facility (pageviews: 2349)
- Five additional coronavirus deaths reported in Utah (pageviews: 1989)
- Utah COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations increase over weekend (pageviews: 1581)
- Salt Lake City and County mayors call for statewide shutdown (pageviews: 1083)