Maria loves her job because she learns something new every day and is able to share that information with others. Born and raised in Utah, Maria graduated from Olympus High School and received her Bachelor of Arts and Master of Science degrees in Journalism and Mass Communications from the University of Utah.
As a longtime news host and reporter at KSL, Maria and has been recognized many times by the Utah Broadcasters Association and the Society of Professional Journalists for both her anchoring and reporting abilities. She has also received a number of regional Edward R. Murrow Awards including the 2017 Murrow award for Best Newscast for her role as host of Utah’s Noon News.
Maria is the host of Utah’s Noon News, Healthy Mind Matters and the Let’s Get Moving with Maria Podcast.
Outside of the station, Maria has spent many hours teaching martial arts at her neighborhood elementary school. She is a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do and says, “It’s rewarding to see my students gain confidence and success.” Maria is also a Sunday School Teacher and the Emergency Preparedness Team Captain in her neighborhood. Gardening is also one of Maria’s passions. She says not only is gardening a rewarding form of artistic expression; it’s also wonderful therapy.
Maria met her husband Bob Nelson while working as a student at KUER at the University of Utah. Bob is a reporter and Afternoon Drive Anchor at KUER. They are the proud parents of two boys, Jonathon and Gregory.
To contact Maria, email email@example.com.
Facebook: Let’s Get Moving with Maria
Today’s Top Stories
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- The bizarre history of Groundhog Day
- Four elk killed as herd gets too close to I-215 and I-80
- Bill to set target water level for the Great Salt Lake dries up
- One person dead following a stabbing in Salt Lake City suspect still at large
- Salt Lake City police investigating shooting, one person hurt
- One man dead, suspect on the run after Glendale shooting
- Davis County officials charge suspect in Layton Amber Alert