Maria loves her job because she learns something new every day and is able to share that information with others. Born and raised in Utah, Maria graduated from Olympus High School and received her Bachelor of Arts and Master of Science degrees in Journalism and Mass Communications from the University of Utah.
As a longtime news host and reporter at KSL, Maria and has been recognized many times by the Utah Broadcasters Association and the Society of Professional Journalists for both her anchoring and reporting abilities. She has also received a number of regional Edward R. Murrow Awards including the 2017 Murrow award for Best Newscast for her role as host of Utah’s Noon News.
Maria is the host of Utah’s Noon News, Healthy Mind Matters and the Let’s Get Moving with Maria Podcast.
Outside of the station, Maria has spent many hours teaching martial arts at her neighborhood elementary school. She is a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do and says, “It’s rewarding to see my students gain confidence and success.” Maria is also a Sunday School Teacher and the Emergency Preparedness Team Captain in her neighborhood. Gardening is also one of Maria’s passions. She says not only is gardening a rewarding form of artistic expression; it’s also wonderful therapy.
Maria met her husband Bob Nelson while working as a student at KUER at the University of Utah. Bob is a reporter and Afternoon Drive Anchor at KUER. They are the proud parents of two boys, Jonathon and Gregory.
To contact Maria, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facebook: Let’s Get Moving with Maria
Today’s Top Stories
- Skier dies after crashing into snowbank at Brighton
- Newly discovered COVID variant is ‘red flag’ but US needs to learn more, Fauci says
- Researchers believe ‘omicron’ variant will be in Utah, sooner or later
- Dow drops 800 points at open as new COVID-19 variant emerges
- Attempted robbery at West Valley hair salon leaves one injured, shooter still at large
- Stocks sink on new COVID variant; Dow loses 905 points
- Here’s why your ticket price out of SLC seems so high right now
- Renders released for Provo and Smithfield temples
- Planning on fasting? BYU study shows a workout can jump start success
- Festival of Trees returns to help children’s health and local hospital