Security guard arrested after shooting man in downtown confrontation
SALT LAKE CITY – A security guard is behind bars, arrested on suspicion of murder, after a fight Wednesday morning, near 140 East and 300 South in downtown Salt Lake City.
Salt Lake Police Sgt. Brandon Shearer said security footage shows Citadel security guard, Timothy Lutes, approached a trespasser, 54 year old Thomas Stanfield, on the property around 5:25 AM. Lutes shined a light into the Sanfield’s face and Shearer said it started a several minute fight between the two men, finally ending with gunfire.
“Stanfield appeared to be walking away from him. Shots were fired, striking Mr. Stanfield and killing him,” Shearer said.
After reviewing the security footage Shearer said Lutes was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on investigation of murder.
“This is still an active, open, investigation. Our detectives are going to continue to follow up on leads but at this time that is what appears happened.”
Deputy Director Marilee Richins, the shooting is tragic all around.
“We want to be sure that the security guard is OK, and we’re heartsick for the victim,” she said. “We want to be sure that we understand what the circumstances were that led up to that event.”
Richins says her office will review the contract of Citadel Security USA, and the actions of the guard when he encountered a trespasser in between the state’s office buildings.
“Obviously, they don’t see this kind of thing very often. This has been traumatic for everyone that’s been involved.”
Richins calls Citadel a good partner with the state.
Today’s Top Stories
- 12-year-old girl in critical condition after getting hit by parade car in Kaysville
- Manhunt underway for gunman after mass shooting at July 4th parade in Highland Park, Illinois
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- Silver alert activated in American Fork, missing possibly in Wendover
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- UPDATE: SLCPD arrest two in connection to Sunday night’s shooting