BYU Football names Tanner Mangum as starting QB
PROVO – It took several weeks and an entire camp, but the BYU football finally gave the starting nod to senior Tanner Mangum Friday.
BYU held no special press conference to make an announcement. It just released a depth chart indicating Mangum received the starting spot.
— BYU Cougars PR (@BYUCougarsPR) August 24, 2018
Mangum earned the starting role last year as well before sustaining an achilles injury at Fresno State University. Overall the senior played in 8 games last year. He threw for 1,540 yards and eight touchdowns on the year. Mangum is 16-10 overall when he has seen the field, including going 9-3 in his freshman year.
BYU will look to him to guide the offense after the team’s struggles last season on the offensive side of the ball. Coaches narrowed it down to him and freshman Zach Wilson before ultimately selecting the senior quarterback.
BYU will travel to Arizona for its season opener on September 1st.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse
- Deuel Creek Fire continues to burn, officials hopeful for more containment