Layton boy loses hand in dog attack
LAYTON — A 4-year-old Layton boy lost a hand Sunday while trying to play with a dog through a fence, according to police.
The child, whose name has not been released, had a sock on his hand when he reached through the chain-link fence in his backyard to play with two huskies who live next door. One of the dogs bit down and amputated the child’s hand just above the wrist, according to Layton Fire Battalion Chief Jason Cook.
The boy’s family helped limit his bleeding until crews arrived at the home, near 1100 North and 3600 West in Layton, around 3:30 PM. Investigators were unable to recover the child’s hand, Cook said.
“We’ve not found it in the backyard. Our fear is that it may have been ingested by the dog,” Cook said.
According to the dog’s owners, they have not bitten anyone in the past. Both dogs were taken into custody by animal control officers.
The child was flown to Primary Children’s Hospital in serious but stable condition.
This is a developing story. More information will be added as it becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Rep. Stewart: Lessons to be learned from Chinese spy balloon, doubts it ever flew over Utah
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Biden to test run his reelection message in his first State of the Union to a divided Congress
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- Lockout lifted for Hunter High and Hunter Elementary Schools
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- New bill could disrupt signature gathering path to Utah’s ballot