Lehi boy hospitalized after backyard playhouse accident
LEHI — A five-year-old boy was critically injured while playing in a backyard playhouse, resulting in an accidental near-strangling.
Authorities say he became entangled in a jump rope that appears to have been attached to the slide in the backyard play area of a home near 1700 West and 400 South in Lehi. The rope wrapped around his neck, nearly strangling him.
Fire officials say they’re frequently called out to treat kids that injure themselves while playing, but, Lehi Fire Captain Shad Hatfield says this particular accident was especially bizarre.
“Typically, we’ll respond to accidents involving falls or entrapments in different playground equipment,” he says, adding “This is one of the more uncommon, or ‘freak’ accidents.”
The boy was flown to Primary Children’s Hospital in critical but stable condition.
This accident has Hatfield calling on parents to make sure they’re mindful of their children while they’re playing. Plus, there are more hidden dangers than the ones on the playsets.
“[Secure] everything from playground equipment to making sure your sheds are secure,” Hatfield said.
He says kids frequently hurt themselves on the sharp objects or dangerous chemicals in sheds.
(Contributing: Paul Nelson)
Today’s Top Stories
- Wildlife officials, troopers, maneuver large herd of elk away from I-80
- Suspects in custody, lockdown lifted after shots fired at Taylorsville High
- Pedestrian hit and killed by UTA Frontrunner
- Large sinkhole shuts down portion of westbound 1500 North in Lehi
- Investigation of fatal accident at Provo airport includes witness statements
- Teachers at West High School walkout in of protest H.B. 215
- Bystander finds dead body in Salt Lake foothills above Beck Street
- Cottonwood Connect offers a new way to get up Cottonwood Canyons
- UHP: Semi rollover in Juab County has claimed at least one life
- Spanish Fork teacher is year’s first Jazz “Most Valuable Educator”