Breakfast: the most important meal of the day?
SALT LAKE CITY — For a long time, breakfast was hailed as the most important meal of the day and for some people it still is, but with new trends like intermittent fasting, breakfast is being skipped more frequently. So what is the most important meal of the day? Registered Dietitian Melanie Douglass explained on Really Healthy Podcast.
The answer is simple but also not the same for everyone. Whether you need breakfast or not totally depends on what works for you and what fits in your lifestyle, Douglass explained.
If you are one of those people who is never hungry or even feels a bit nauseous at the sight of food in the morning, it is okay to skip breakfast, according to Douglass
It’s also okay to have a “late breakfast” when you start feeling hungry. Just be prepared by packing it along with your lunch as you head out the door.
Not To Skip
If you skip breakfast and by the time you sit down for lunch you are ravenous and it causes you to overeat… you should eat breakfast, according to Douglass.
Eating a balanced breakfast that includes a carbohydrate, a fat and a protein can fill you up and energize you to start the day.
Douglass offered a tip for people looking to give themselves a jumpstart in the morning and that is exercise. Even if you can’t fit in a full workout, Douglass advises something like 50 jumping jacks can really get you going.
If you found this information helpful, subscribe to Really Healthy wherever you get podcasts or on the KSL Newsradio app.
Watch the full episode below.
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- The DWR to update management of black bears
- Christian Pulisic is day-to-day after being taken to hospital with pelvic contusion suffered…
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident