SLCPD look for carjacker who drove off in minvan with toddler inside
SALT LAKE CITY — A 3-year-old girl is safe after a man pulled her mother out of the car and drove off Thursday afternoon at 2100 South yesterday.
Salt Lake City Police said that the carjacking happened around 1:30 pm after the woman driving the minivan stopped at Green Street between 600 and 700 East and a man walked up and pulled her out of the car.
Lt. Jenn Diedrich said the man then fled westbound on 2100 S and that witnesses that saw the carjacking take place followed the man as far as State Street while they called police.
“We got on the radio and let everyone city and statewide know what was going on, and about a half hour later, some citizens found the child walking around Fayette and West Temple,” said Lt Jenn Diederich.
“The mom was elated and very happy,” Diedrich said saying they were very fortunate the little girl was found and OK.
“I will credit good Samaritans and amazing officers. Everyone came together today to make sure this child was safe,” said Lt Diederich.
Police are still looking for the suspect and have released this photo asking for the publics help in locating the man and the missing minivan.
The van is a 2001 light green or grey Honda Odyssey, Utah license plate number W054VG and police are circulating surveillance images of a man they call a person of interest. He’s partially bald and wearing dark clothing.
Anyone with information regarding the man or the vehicle is asked to call Salt Lake police at 801-799-3000.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Utah’s COVID-19 transmissions slowed but still present
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- What you can do about snow mold in your lawn