Utah-based F-35A squadron deploys to US base in Italy
HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah (AP) — A squadron of F-35A jet fighters from Hill Air Force Base in Utah has deployed to Aviano Air Base in Italy.
A statement released by Hill officials said the squadron arrived Friday and will participate in exercises and conduct training with other Europe-based aircraft during a deployment expected to last several weeks.
The statement said the deployment is part of a “theater security package” in which U.S. forces rotate to Europe to deter adversaries and assure allies of the U.S. commitment to regional security.
The statement says the deployment is the second to Europe by a Hill-based F-35A squadron and that the first took place in 2017 when a squadron deployed to a British base in England.
Today’s Top Stories
- Cottonwood High School wins football game in bizarre fashion
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- September was the hottest month in Salt Lake City and it wasn’t close
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- Day 1 in ‘landmark case’ for animal rights
- Man in possession of fentanyl pills, heroin arrested at SLC airport
- Utah Gov. turns 56 bills into new Utah laws, several involve Bears Ears
- DWR officials taking steps to protect California condors