SLC man charged in carjacking with 4-year-old inside
SALT LAKE CITY — Charges were filed on Tuesday against Derek Orr, 29, with two first-degree felonies of aggravated robbery and child kidnapping.
Orr was the main suspect in a carjacking that happened earlier this month where police say he pulled a woman out of her minivan and drove off with her young daughter still inside.
The carjacking happened around 1:30 pm on May 16th when police say Orr approached the woman driving the minivan stopped at Green Street between 600 and 700 East and pulled her out of the car.
Lt. Jenn Diedrich said the man then fled westbound on 2100 S and that witnesses that saw the carjacking take place followed the man as far as State Street while they called police.
The woman’s daughter was later found wandering outside near Publik Coffee on West Temple when a concerned bystander “noticed a little girl crying and asking for ‘mommy’.”
Shortly after, police were able to identify Orr from the nearby surveillance video from a store Orr was in before the carjacking and were able to arrest him in a Salt Lake home shortly after receiving a tip.
Charging documents have asked that his bail be set at $250,000.
Today’s Top Stories
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips
- One person dead following a stabbing in Salt Lake City suspect still at large
- SLCPD arrest two people in connection to a Wednesday shooting
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Eyeing retirement: How much money is enough after you leave a job?
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Suspect arrested and named, victim identified after shooting in Taylorsville