Vigil organized for University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck
SALT LAKE CITY– The Associated Students of the University of Utah (ASUU) will hold a vigil Monday, June 1st in remembrance of senior Mackenzie Lueck. The vigil will take place at 6 PM on the Union Lawn at the University of Utah.
Lueck was a part-time student studying kinesiology at the University of Utah. She was a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority.
“Our Alpha Chi Omega community is grieving the loss of Mackenzie Lueck and we send our deepest sympathies and prayers to her family during this incredibly difficult time. We hope that our Alpha Chi Omega sisters who knew Mackenzie best can find peace and comfort as they reflect on the lasting impact she made on the lives of her family members, friends, and sisters,” Lueck’s sorority said in an emailed statement.
Friends remember Lueck as “the kind of person who would … have a good time no matter what she was doing and have everyone involved, enjoying themselves,” according to a KSL article.
Mackenzie Lueck went missing on June, 17th after returning to Salt Lake City from a trip to California. Her last known whereabouts were noted by a Lyft driver who dropped her off at Hatch Park in North Salt Lake City around 3 AM. The Lyft driver told police she got into another vehicle with someone and did not appear to be in distress.
On June 28th, police have arrested the man Lueck met at Hatch Park in connection to her disappearance and death.
Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown announced charges of aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping, and desecration of a body more than 10 days after the disappearance of Mackenzie Lueck.
Today’s Top Stories
- Wildlife officials, troopers, maneuver large herd of elk away from I-80
- Suspects in custody, lockdown lifted after shots fired at Taylorsville High
- Pedestrian hit and killed by UTA Frontrunner
- Large sinkhole shuts down portion of westbound 1500 North in Lehi
- Investigation of fatal accident at Provo airport includes witness statements
- Teachers at West High School walkout in of protest H.B. 215
- Bystander finds dead body in Salt Lake foothills above Beck Street
- Cottonwood Connect offers a new way to get up Cottonwood Canyons
- Spanish Fork teacher is year’s first Jazz “Most Valuable Educator”
- UHP: Semi rollover in Juab County has claimed at least one life