A three-digit national hotline for suicide prevention is one step closer to being ready. The FCC recommends 988 be used, and has forwarded that recommendation to Congress.
It would be like 911 for someone in crisis.
The bill was sponsored by Utah Representative Chris Stewart.
“Utahns are facing the tragic effects of suicide at some of the highest rates in the nation,” Stewart said. “Today’s announcement by the FCC is another important step to provide critical resources to address mental health and suicide in our state and country. This will save lives.”
Thrilled that the @FCC determined that a three-digit dialing code is feasible for a national suicide hotline crisis center. This is another important step towards saving lives! https://t.co/RTlxzd82sN
— Rep. Chris Stewart (@RepChrisStewart) August 15, 2019
In June 2018, Stewart spoke on the House floor saying creating a hotline dialing code was “an important step towards potentially averting tragedy.”
PASSED: The National Suicide Prevention Hotline Act
By creating a hotline dialing code that is short and easy to remember – similar to 911 – we are taking an important step towards potentially averting tragedy. I thank my colleagues for passing this important legislation. pic.twitter.com/lEXN17nDnb
— Rep. Chris Stewart (@RepChrisStewart) July 23, 2018
Right now the national number is 1-800-273-TALK. It is open 24 hours a day. Advocates say when it is ready, 988 would be much easier to remember.
It was also a priority of Senator Orrin Hatch before he retired.
Advocates urge anyone who is struggling or anyone with a loved one who may be at risk of suicide to use the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at any time, by calling 1-800-273-Talk.
Read more of KSL Newsradio’s coverage of “Healing Utah’s Teenagers” here.
KSL’s combined coverage “Reasons to Hope” is found here.
And resources for help around Utah are here.
- Step-father of missing Idaho kids speaks to ABC (pageviews: 8872)
- A YouTuber's fancy Bali vacation sure looked nice. Nope, the photos were taken in an Ikea (pageviews: 4364)
- Costco bans non-members from their food court (pageviews: 3635)
- 7-year-old girl dies during tonsil surgery (pageviews: 3429)
- A timeline of the missing Idaho children (pageviews: 2878)
- Volunteer cuddle program helps babies in the NICU (pageviews: 1746)
- 5-year-old Millcreek boy hit and killed (pageviews: 1455)
- Fatal rollover near Salt Lake airport (pageviews: 1083)