Heavy traffic expected for Labor Day Weekend
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Be prepared for busy roads as families take advantage of the Labor Day holiday.
Sunny skies and a three-day weekend mean that many people throughout the state will skip town to soak up the last of summer.
Be prepared for delays
Because of that, UDOT spokesman John Gleason says motorists should be prepared for delays.
“We could see delays of up to 40 minutes on southbound I-15 in Salt Lake and Utah County,” explains UDOT Spokesman John Gleason. “Then on northbound I-15 heading up through Davis County, [expect] about 20-minute delays.”
Labor Day weekend is always one of the busiest travel weekends of the year. So state officials try to suspend road projects to avoid added congestion.
Unfortunately, that’s not always possible.
“We are still going to have lane restrictions and lane splits in place down in the Technology Corridor and the Lehi area,” Gleason explains.
Backups are unavoidable
According to Gleason, there aren’t any secret tip for motorists .
Rather, avoiding rush hour is the best bet to avoid delays and frustration.
Avoid travelling during the later afternoon [and] earlier evening hours, then you’re going to avoid some of the congestion and being stuck in traffic,” says Gleason.
That recommendation holds true throughout the long weekend because traffic delays are once again expected on Monday as families return home.
Additionally, busy roads and backups aren’t unique to Northern Utah on holiday weekends.
Southbound I-15 no picnic either
Those traveling south should be aware that road work could slow traffic.
“The Arizona Department of Transportation is working on bridges,” he explains. “So I-15 in that area is down to one lane and that could be the big trouble spot of the weekend.”
The latest information on road projects, traffic and delays can be found on the UDOT website.
KSL has partnered with the Utah Department of Transportation to remind you that seat belts save lives! Strive for Zero Fatalities this holiday weekend, and every time you get behind the wheel.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake County DA discusses Biden’s pardon of marijuana possession
- Search for wanted fugitive in Tooele is unsuccessful
- Deputies say evidence pointing to likely homicide in case of Dylan Rounds
- The countdown is over… what does Training Table have cooking up?
- Odd smell coming from North Salt Lake goes unidentified
- UPDATE: SLCPD releases new information about Meadows Park shooting
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- 13 year old hospitalized after being run over in Bountiful
- Zion National Park announces Fat Squirrel Week… it might not be what you think
- Utah debates: Here’s how 3rd District candidates stand on the issues (Rep. John Curtis…