Police looking for man that stole a vehicle with a child inside
TOOELE, Utah — Police are hoping to track down a man that stole a vehicle Tuesday morning with a 10-year-old boy in the backseat.
According to Tooele Police, they first got a call around 7:30 a.m. that a car was stolen with a child inside in the area of 1800 North Berra Boulevard.
The boy’s father, Guy Ashdown, says his wife and son were both outside in the car waiting for his daughter who was still inside.
His wife eventually left the running vehicle to quickly check on the daughter.
He says the boy was alone in the vehicle for only a few moments before a man jumped inside and sped away with the car.
“He took off down the road and didn’t realize that my son was in the back of the car,” says Ashdown. “My son started freaking out and he threw him out of the car.”
Police say the suspect only drove about a block before forcing the child to exit.
The child was able to give police a very detailed description of the suspect, which helped cops locate the suspect on Interstate 80.
The Unified Police Department says the man was driving about 90 miles per hour and they followed the vehicle to an apartment complex at 8425 West 2910 South in Magna.
At that point he crashed the car into the complex and fled on foot.
Police are describing the suspect as an Hispanic male.
According to the boy’s father, he’s certain to return to the scene of the crime.
“He’ll stay away for a little while, but then when he realizes that the dust has settled or something, or thinks that no one is watching him, then he’ll be back,” explains Ashdown.
UPD is working with Tooele Police as they continue the search.
The good news is that the 10-year-old boy is uninjured, but still a little spooked from the encounter.
“Yeah, my son is freaked out,” he explains. “But he’s a strong little man, he’s tough, he’s strong. he’s smart.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Suspect in Wednesday’s I-15 shooting is named, booked into jail
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Semi rollover on Legacy Highway reduces traffic to one lane
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Storm bringing wind and snow to northern Utah
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- 18-year-old connected to Orem shooting turns himself in