Church announces second temple in St. George
ST GEORGE, Utah — St. George will become the third city in Utah to have two temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The church announced plans to build the new temple on a 14-acre lot just outside St. George City’s eastern edge northeast of 3000 East and 1580 South.
The Washington County Utah Temple was originally announced during a general conference for the church in October of 2018 by church President Russell M. Nelson.
Final plans are still under development according to a release from the church but they expect project leaders to file preliminary public plans with the city in the coming months.
Renders for the temple have not been made public yet, but the church expects to build a three-story, 88,000 square foot temple.
St George is also home to the very first Latter-day Saint Temple in Utah that was dedicated in 1877 and closed Monday for an extensive renovation that will last until 2022.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead
- Murray Police warning public to be on lookout for scam
- Saturday morning conference session makes history
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- The sad history of Tragedy Spring
- Other paths to consider when thinking about attending college
- ‘Any kind of abuse … is an abomination,’ President Nelson says at Saturday morning session
- Nations largest pig farm exposed, two face criminal charges
- Indonesia stadium riot: At least 127 people reported dead following soccer match, police say
- Parents pushing back on ongoing mask requirement in Utah schools