Church announces second temple in St. George
ST GEORGE, Utah — St. George will become the third city in Utah to have two temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The church announced plans to build the new temple on a 14-acre lot just outside St. George City’s eastern edge northeast of 3000 East and 1580 South.
The Washington County Utah Temple was originally announced during a general conference for the church in October of 2018 by church President Russell M. Nelson.
Final plans are still under development according to a release from the church but they expect project leaders to file preliminary public plans with the city in the coming months.
Renders for the temple have not been made public yet, but the church expects to build a three-story, 88,000 square foot temple.
St George is also home to the very first Latter-day Saint Temple in Utah that was dedicated in 1877 and closed Monday for an extensive renovation that will last until 2022.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- With Roe v. Wade now overturned, could same-sex marriage be next?
- Lawyer releases pages from Brian Laundrie’s notebook in which he admits to killing…
- Biden signs bipartisan gun safety bill into law: ‘God willing, it’s going to…
- Hill Air Force Base’s Air and Space show bringing STEM to kids
- Congress sends landmark gun violence compromise to Biden