We now know where Utah’s two newest temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be built.
Announced during the church’s October General Conference, the temples in Orem and Taylorsville now have sites announced.
The Orem Temple will be built on a 16-acre site near 1471 South Geneva Road. Plans call for a 70,000 square foot three-story building with a center spire. There will also be a 20,000 square foot meetinghouse on that property.
Orem City Mayor Richard Brunst says he’s excited to see the church build a temple in his city.
“I am just so excited to have a temple coming to the city of Orem. We love what it’s going to do for our city. It will be a beacon of light.”
Brunst says that with the exponential growth that Orem is seeing and the large population of members of the church the new temple will be a great blessing to his city.
“Within the city of Orem, we have a large population of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, about 70%, so this will be a great thing for our residents.”
“Vineyard is growing at an exponential rate. They are at 15,000 now, planning for 70,000 later. Orem is growing. Lindon is growing. Utah Valley University is growing, so it would serve the needs of all four of those entities.”
Brunst says that they’re expecting the building process to take between two and three years. and that the new temple will be a blessing for his city.
The Taylorsville Utah Temple will be built on a 7.5-acre site located at 2603 West 4700 South. Plans for that temple are also for a 70,000 square foot three-story temple with a center spire. The church already owns a meetinghouse on that site that will be demolished but not be replaced.
Taylorsville Mayor Kristie Overson says she’s excited about the new location. “We know when the Church builds an edifice, it enhances the community. We are very excited to have it invigorate the rest of the area.”
She says people have been asking her where it was going to be ever since the news came in October’s general conference.
“It makes it real that a location has been announced. As a city, we are so excited to work with the Church to make this beautiful edifice a reality in our city.”
Contributing: Mary Richards
- Ex-police chief speaks out on shooting of 13-year-old Linden Cameron | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 5128)
- Ex-police chief speaks out on shooting of 13-year-old Linden Cameron (pageviews: 2181)
- Grand jury indicts 1 police officer in Breonna Taylor death (pageviews: 1894)
- Utah County passes mask mandate effective immediately | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1664)
- Provo, Orem to move to "orange" during COVID-19 uptick (pageviews: 1608)
- Utah County passes mask mandate effective immediately (pageviews: 1498)
- Navajo to extend weekend lockdown because of new virus cases | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1386)
- Sen. Mitt Romney says he will not block a vote on SCOTUS nominee (pageviews: 1271)