Avalanche in Summit County backcountry kills snowboarder
PARK CITY, UTAH — A snowboarder who triggered an avalanche behind Canyons Village in Park City died this afternoon. According to the Utah Avalanche center, this is the first avalanche death of this season.
The Center says the man triggered the avalanche this morning, got caught up and then was carried and killed in the avalanche. The center also says the area is avalanche prone and was the site of a fatality in February of 2012.
Read more about the Avalanche Center’s report here.
Confirmed avalanche accident and burial in the backcountry near Canyons resort. https://t.co/REZSuPaozb
— UtahAvalancheCenter (@UACwasatch) December 15, 2019
The Summit County Sheriff’s Office says the 45-year-old man is from Salt Lake City.
— Sheriff Justin (@SummitCountySO) December 15, 2019
Avalanche danger remains rated as considerable today.
Today’s Top Stories
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- WB I-80 shut down after a crash between two semis and a Utah Highway Patrol car
- 8-year-old boy struck by car in Riverton, suffers head injury
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City