Deadly Salt Lake house fire
SALT LAKE CITY — Officials with Salt Lake Fire say that an elderly man has died after an overnight house fire.
The fire broke out in the area of 1593 S and 700 E. Firefighters say they received a call from neighbors at about 7:05 this morning.
They have not yet determined a cause.
State fire officials say they’re seeing an uptick in deadly house fires this winter.
They say the number always goes up in the winter, compared to summer, simply because most homes are using heating equipment and there’s more risks involved.
Although State Fire Marshal Coy Porter reports there have already been seven fatal fires since Thanksgiving, which is a major rise.
He says they only average about eleven fatal fires a year, making the past month-and-a-half even more troubling.
According to Porter, fatal house fires in the winter are typically started by very preventable sources.
Faulty smoke detectors, outlets being used in close proximity to a heat source and open flame candles all typically are responsible for a number of fires.
Porter adds that four of the seven fatal fires this winter have involved elderly residents in their 70’s, which reiterates the need for neighbors to keep a watchful eye.
Today’s Top Stories
- Cottonwood High School wins football game in bizarre fashion
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- Storms blast southern Utah, flash flooding possible
- Saturday crash killed father and 2-year-old son
- Fatal car crash closes southbound I-15 in Washington County
- SLCPD investigating reported sexual assault at frat house near University of Utah
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- Day 1 in ‘landmark case’ for animal rights
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead