Utah high school says hazing violation is “rumor”; investigation underway
VERNAL, Utah — The Uintah County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an alleged hazing violation by the Uintah High School boy’s basketball team. The sheriff’s office said the coaches and administrators are fully cooperating.
The violation was reported during a recent tournament in Cedar City. The school administration conducted its own investigation, finding individuals engaging in inappropriate behavior — but not constituting it as hazing or malicious intent.
“The coaches take allegations like these seriously and immediately reported the situation to the high school administration,” the Uintah School District responded in a press release sent to KSL NewsRadio.
Shortly after the investigation, the administration reported educating its student-athletes on the importance of appropriate conduct between classmates.
“Those who engaged in inappropriate conduct have been disciplined accordingly and the matter has been resolved at the school level,” according to the statement. “We thank those involved for their honesty and willingness to take responsibility for their behavior.”
The school district wrote in the press release they are aware of the rumors about the alleged hazing.
“That’s what they are, rumors. Spreading them violates the privacy of all involved and has the potential to harm student-athletes who did not engage in any inappropriate behavior.”
The high school and school district were not available to provide additional information.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Off-duty officer with Salt Lake City Police arrested