Dramatic footage released of officer-involved shooting
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Salt Lake City Police have released more information and body camera footage from an officer-involved shooting that happened on January 8.
Cops identified the suspect in the case as 20-year-old Tyler Keaton Webster.
A lengthy rap sheet
They say he was no stranger to police, because of his lengthy criminal history.
“His criminal background includes convictions for unlawful sexual activity with a minor [and] disorderly conduct,” explains Captain Ty Farillas.
Additionally, he’s also been charged for assault, violation of a protective order, forgery and theft by receiving stolen property.
On the afternoon of January 8, Webster came face-to-face with officers while driving a stolen red Mustang.
Around 1500 W. North Temple, Webster attempted to flee police by driving in reverse.
“Officer number two attempted to tase the driver at this time,” says Captain Farillas. “The car continued in reverse and attempted to slide sideways, while doing so.”
Webster still refused to exit the vehicle after police used a stun gun.
“The driver continued to rev the engine as [one of the officers] found himself between the open passenger-side door and the guardrail,” he explains.
At that time, one of the two officers fired his weapon at Webster and he suffered non-life threatening injuries as a result.
Warning: The body camera captured dramatic footage of the officer-involved shooting, which is graphic and includes profane language.
— John Wojcik (@JWojcikKSL) January 23, 2020
Webster was administered medical aid immediately following the shooting.
Right now, the Unified Police Department is leading the officer-involved critical incident protocol team.
Their objective is to conduct an independent investigation into what happened.
“We want everyone to remember this is still an active and open case,” explains Captain Farillas.
The officer involved in the incident has been placed on paid administrative leave, which police say is standard protocol.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City
- UPDATE: SLCPD investigating party shooting that left one in critical condition
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong