Petition launches to make Kobe Bryant the new NBA logo
Petition to Make Kobe Bryant the New NBA Logo
Thousands of fans are calling on the NBA to update its logo to honor the late Kobe Bryant. The current NBA logo was designed by Alan Siegal featuring the silhouette of Los Angeles Lakers great Jerry West. The NBA has used the same iconic tri-color logo since 1971 except for a small change in the font in 2017.
“With the untimely and unexpected passing of the great Kobe Bryant please sign this petition in an attempt to immortalize him forever as the new NBA Logo,” creator Nick M wrote on the Change.org petition.
He added that he hoped ” … our dream does come true and we are able to see Kobe Bryant engraved into the NBA Logo.” The petition has already amassed over 1,000,000 signatures with a goal of 3,000,000.
Kobe Bryant’s Accomplishments
The NBA has not commented on the change but recognizes Kobe as one of the greatest players to touch the court. Bryant retired from the NBA in April 2016 after a legendary career spanning over two decades.
The 41-year-old, nicknamed “Black Mamba,” earned five NBA titles, named MVP of the NBA Finals twice and won two Olympic golds. As an 18-time All-Star, he transcended the sport and became one of the most iconic athletes of his generation.
After the news of Bryant’s death broke, the league released a statement sending condolences to his wife and family.
NBA Statement on Kobe Bryant’s Death
“The NBA family is devastated by the tragic passing of Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna,” said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver in a statement.
“For 20 seasons, Kobe showed us what is possible when remarkable talent blends with an absolute devotion to winning. He was one of the most extraordinary players in the history of our game with accomplishments that are legendary … But he will be remembered most for inspiring people around the world to pick up a basketball and compete to the very best of their ability.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Roe V. Wade overturned by Supreme Court
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Victim in Box Elder County worksite accident is identified
- Biden calls abortion ruling ‘a sad day’ for country
- Provo Police Department asking for help solving a 2020 cold case
- Congress sends landmark gun violence compromise to Biden
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Sandy man identified as individual killed in Nevada car crash
- After NY law is struck down, two Utah experts sound off on gun rights