SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City School District Superintendent Lexi Cunningham has resigned her position, as well as Business Administrator Janet Roberts. Both plan to stay on in their jobs through June 30th.
In a resignation letter obtained by KSL NewsRadio Dr. Cunningham says:
For the past four years, I have enjoyed serving as Superintendent of the Salt Lake City School District. I have many fond memories and have been blessed to make many friends while working in SLCSD. While I will always treasure the memories and friendships that I have made, I now have the chance to pursue another educational opportunity. It is with mixed emotions that I will bid farewell to the Salt Lake City School District.
I am grateful for the opportunity to serve the students of our district and our community. I will continue to support the district, its teachers, and students. While I am leaving for the next adventure in my career, I will forever carry a piece of the Salt Lake City School District in my heart. I would like to thank you for the honor of serving the students, staff, and community of the Salt Lake City School District. Again, thank you for allowing me to grow personally and professionally throughout the past four years.
Before taking her position in Salt Lake City Cunningham served for 10 years as superintendent at two Arizona school districts.
Deseret News Education Reporter Marjorie Cortez joined Utah’s Morning News that she was more surprised by the news that Roberts was resigning and less surprised by Cunningham’s announcement after she expressed interest in moving to a similar position in Arizona.
“She told me this fall that her parents are aging and she wanted to be closer to them in Arizona, but apparently she did not get that position.”
Cortez says that desire along with the unique challenges that come with the job in the capital city could have played a role in the decisions today.
You can hear her full conversation below.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
- Celebrities rally to send Quaden Bayles to Disneyland after bullying video goes viral (pageviews: 2162)
- Gym trainer arrested for recording females in changing room (pageviews: 2153)
- Site of Mackenzie Lueck murder up for sale... described as what? (pageviews: 1519)
- Mom of 2 missing Idaho children arrested in Hawaii (pageviews: 1300)
- Police: Body found in pipe near Target in Salt Lake (pageviews: 1270)
- BYU, other church universities update student honor code (pageviews: 748)
- Bloomberg to Utah: President Trump won last night's Democratic debate (pageviews: 693)