Update: One dead after officer-involved shooting in Millcreek
MILLCREEK, Utah — The Unified Police Department says the response to a domestic call involving a woman and her adult son turned into an officer-involved shooting Monday.
The suspect has now been identified by the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office as Marc Dominic Neal, age 56, of Millcreek.
According to police, officers responded to a domestic report involving a gun at the address and encountered Neal in the front yard of the residence. Police say Neal was armed with a firearm as officers attempted to de-escalate the situation for several minutes prior to the shooting.
Six UPD officers have been put on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
UPDATE: @UPDSL says officers were called to a domestic dispute between a woman and her adult son near 2500 E Evergreen Ave. Shots were fired. Adult male fatally shot. More details to come. pic.twitter.com/JawASKUdOb
— Nick Wyatt (@NickWyattNews) February 3, 2020
Evergreen Junior High School was temporarily placed on “shelter in place” because of “police activity” in the area.
(1/2) Patron Alert: Evergreen Jr High has been placed on a shelter in protocol due to some police activity in the neighboring area. The incident is unrelated to the school and there is no direct threat to students. Protocol is strictly precautionary to ensure student safety. pic.twitter.com/aoX9buoUOW
— Granite School Dist. (@GraniteSchools) February 3, 2020
As is protocol in a situation involving use of force like an officer-involved shooting, an outside agency will investigate. In this case, West Valley City will handle the investigation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Checking in on the status of full-day kindergarten in Utah
- How much will it take to save the Great Salt Lake?
- Deadline for REAL ID-compliant license, ID card, extended to 2025
- Defense bill likely to include end to military Covid vaccine mandate, source says
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]