Update: One dead after officer-involved shooting in Millcreek
MILLCREEK, Utah — The Unified Police Department says the response to a domestic call involving a woman and her adult son turned into an officer-involved shooting Monday.
The suspect has now been identified by the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office as Marc Dominic Neal, age 56, of Millcreek.
According to police, officers responded to a domestic report involving a gun at the address and encountered Neal in the front yard of the residence. Police say Neal was armed with a firearm as officers attempted to de-escalate the situation for several minutes prior to the shooting.
Six UPD officers have been put on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
UPDATE: @UPDSL says officers were called to a domestic dispute between a woman and her adult son near 2500 E Evergreen Ave. Shots were fired. Adult male fatally shot. More details to come. pic.twitter.com/JawASKUdOb
— Nick Wyatt (@NickWyattNews) February 3, 2020
Evergreen Junior High School was temporarily placed on “shelter in place” because of “police activity” in the area.
(1/2) Patron Alert: Evergreen Jr High has been placed on a shelter in protocol due to some police activity in the neighboring area. The incident is unrelated to the school and there is no direct threat to students. Protocol is strictly precautionary to ensure student safety. pic.twitter.com/aoX9buoUOW
— Granite School Dist. (@GraniteSchools) February 3, 2020
As is protocol in a situation involving use of force like an officer-involved shooting, an outside agency will investigate. In this case, West Valley City will handle the investigation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Kearns woman killed in a two-vehicle accident in Idaho
- San Juan county crash leaves one dead, one injured
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Elizabeth Smart says she was sexually assaulted on a plane
- Planned Parenthood of Utah files lawsuit against the state
- Which devices best prevent catalytic-converter theft
- Russian missiles hit Kyiv as G7 summit begins in Europe
- Residents of four Salt Lake City apartments displaced by fire
- Family loses everything to motorhome explosion