Gym trainer arrested for recording females in changing room
OREM, Utah — Police are arresting an Orem gym trainer for allegedly recording women in the bathroom. Police say he was using his cellphone to record the women without their knowledge.
The 20-year-old gym trainer, Ashley Reed Dobbs of Orem, is facing 11 counts of voyeurism by electronic equipment after he was investigated by police.
The investigation started when a woman went to the Orem gym and stopped in the bathroom prior to working out, according to a police affidavit.
“While going to the bathroom, she saw a cellphone hidden under the bathroom sink,” the affidavit states. “She took the phone and saw it was recording a video.”
The woman was able to go through the phone, where she found a video of herself and another woman who had changed in the bathroom earlier.
“She said at the start of the video, it shows the trainer setting the camera up and into place,” the affidavit states. “She said the trainer’s name is ‘Ash.'”
At that time, police responded and started questioning the gym trainer.
“I asked what was going on,” the affidavit states. “He admitted he had messed up.”
Later, he started telling investigators there was a woman at the gym he liked.
The affidavit reads:
“He said he did not know how to approach her or talk with her. Today he decided to place his cellphone under the sink and record when she came in to change.”
As police found, this wasn’t a one-time-thing.
They found “multiple prior videos of Ashley recording females in the bathroom” on Jan. 23, Feb. 5, Feb. 10, Feb. 17 and Feb. 18.
According to the Daily Herald, Dodds was working at 9Round gym.
The owner of the gym says Dodds was immediately removed from the floor and he is no longer employed at the gym.
In addition to the charges, he’s currently being held on $2,500 bail.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- 10 famous Utah ghost towns and where to find them
- Monday morning’s cold temperatures nearly set new records
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Used car prices dropping but supply still low
- The road home is in need of donations and volunteers this winter
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Unsheltered Utah opens warming tent for unhoused people to escape frigid temperatures
- Cold weather causes late start for Logan City School District Wednesday