Presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar drops out of race
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Just hours after visiting Salt Lake City for a rally, Sen. Amy Klobuchar announced she is dropping out of the presidential race and will endorse Joe Biden.
Sen. Amy Klobuchar will end her presidential bid on the eve of Super Tuesday and endorse Joe Biden, a campaign aide tells CNN pic.twitter.com/KEJoToTW2b
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) March 2, 2020
The Minnesota senator announced the decision Monday, calling it quits after a bid that broke briefly into the top tier with a third-place finish in New Hampshire but failed to sustain that energy further into the Democratic nomination fight.
The Klobuchar campaign tells CNN that the senator is flying to Dallas to join former vice president Joe Biden at his rally, where she will officially suspend her campaign and endorse Biden on the eve of Super Tuesday.
During her rally in Salt Lake Monday, Klobuchar called for unity and decency in the White House.
“One thing that unites everyone is that we want to win,” she said to the crowd. “I’ve won every place and every race I’ve been in.”
— KSL NewsRadio (@kslnewsradio) March 2, 2020
The three-term senator launched her campaign in a Minnesota snowstorm last February, touting her “grit” and Midwestern sensibilities. But she fell behind and couldn’t compete with her rivals in early fundraising.
Her efforts to own the primary’s moderate lane got tougher when Biden and another Midwesterner, former Mayor Pete Buttigieg of Indiana, entered the race.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- The road home is in need of donations and volunteers this winter
- South Jordan could see new housing development
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Why is there an increase of wildlife in SLC neighborhoods?
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Head on collision reported, State Route 73 closure
- Freezing weather causes delayed start for Cache County School District schools
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk