SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints suffered minor damage after a 5.7 earthquake that shook much of northern Utah Wednesday morning.
Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff says that there was only minor damage done to the Angel Moroni that tops the eastern spire of the temple, as well as minor shifting to some spire stones.
“The trumpet on the Angel Moroni statue fell off, and there is minor displacement of some of the temple’s smaller spire stones. No workers were injured. Crews on the job site have been sent home for the day, and a full assessment is underway to determine needs going forward. This event emphasizes why this project is so necessary to preserve this historic building and create a safer environment for all our patrons and visitors.”
There was no immediate word on what the earthquake or damage to the temple would mean for renovation work.
Utah is “Earthquake Country,” meaning the state is susceptible to earthquakes, especially along the Wasatch Front. It’s important to prepare yourself and your family for an earthquake. Here are some basic tips on earthquake preparedness:
Before an Earthquake
- Move or secure objects that could fall and hurt you
- Identify your building’s potential weaknesses and begin to fix them
- Create a disaster-preparedness plan and have disaster supply kits ready
During an Earthquake
- Seek cover under sturdy furniture or doorways. As things move, hold on, and move with it.
- Move away from windows and objects that could fall
- Move against a wall in the interior of the building, cover and protect yourself
- Transcript of Lori Daybell’s call to Chad Daybell on day of children’s discovery | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 5011)
- Transcript of Lori Daybell's call to Chad Daybell on day of children's discovery (pageviews: 2479)
- Full transcript of Lori Daybell secret phone call recording | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1513)
- Full transcript of Lori Daybell secret phone call recording (pageviews: 1487)
- Small plane carrying six people crashed in Duchesne County | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1462)
- I-80 to be closed from 9 am to 9 pm Friday for firefighting efforts (pageviews: 1291)
- Victim in critical condition after police shooting in Holladay (pageviews: 1285)
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1242)