Salt Lake Temple suffers minor damage due to earthquake
Mar 18, 2020, 9:24 AM | Updated: 2:04 pm
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints suffered minor damage after a 5.7 earthquake that shook much of northern Utah Wednesday morning.
RELATED: Damage reported across Wasatch Front after Magna earthquake
Renovations have been taking place at the Salt Lake Temple to upgrade its ability to withstand seismic events.
Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff says that there was only minor damage done to the Angel Moroni that tops the eastern spire of the temple, as well as minor shifting to some spire stones.
“The trumpet on the Angel Moroni statue fell off, and there is minor displacement of some of the temple’s smaller spire stones. No workers were injured. Crews on the job site have been sent home for the day, and a full assessment is underway to determine needs going forward. This event emphasizes why this project is so necessary to preserve this historic building and create a safer environment for all our patrons and visitors.”
There was no immediate word on what the earthquake or damage to the temple would mean for renovation work.
Utah is “Earthquake Country,” meaning the state is susceptible to earthquakes, especially along the Wasatch Front. It’s important to prepare yourself and your family for an earthquake. Here are some basic tips on earthquake preparedness:
Before an Earthquake
- Move or secure objects that could fall and hurt you
- Identify your building’s potential weaknesses and begin to fix them
- Create a disaster-preparedness plan and have disaster supply kits ready
During an Earthquake
- Seek cover under sturdy furniture or doorways. As things move, hold on, and move with it.
- Move away from windows and objects that could fall
- Move against a wall in the interior of the building, cover and protect yourself
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- How To Plan a Business Retreat in Bear Lake This Spring
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes