SALT LAKE CITY — Utah health officials announced the first death from coronavirus in Utah at a news conference Sunday afternoon, saying the patient had underlying medical conditions and was over the age of 60.
The first coronavirus death in Utah
According to the Utah Department of Health, the first coronavirus death in Utah occurred in a patient over the age of 60 in Davis County. He was treated at Mountainstar’s Lakeview Hospital and had some underlying health conditions, which the health department did not identify. His case of COVID-19, health officials said, stemmed from recent travel.
The man entered the hospital Friday and tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday. Health officials are working to contact people who were in close contact with him before his death.
“Even though we knew some Utah residents would lose their lives to this illness it is heartbreaking to announce this first death. We share in this family’s grief and are deeply committed to doing all we can to ensure the health and safety of our community,” said Dr. Angela Dunn, UDOH state epidemiologist, in a statement. “We need all Utah residents to do their part in taking the necessary steps to limit the spread of this illness.”
As of Sunday, more than 180 people in Utah tested positive for coronavirus, though that official tally included about a dozen visitors to the state.
Tune to KSL NewsRadio via app, website or radio at 102.7 FM and 1160 AM for the latest.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
State of Utah: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
- Costco implements new policy limiting customers in the store (pageviews: 24909)
- Girl Scout cookies go online to keep your quarantine snacks stocked (pageviews: 9239)
- Salt Lake County latest to issue "Stay Safe, Stay Home" order (pageviews: 8602)
- COVID-19 case count in Utah now at 719, officials say (pageviews: 6236)
- Auto executive Bob Garff is third Utahn to die of COVID-19 (pageviews: 5198)
- Grocery store to provide free digital thermometers (pageviews: 4998)
- Coronavirus death rate is lower than previously reported, study says, but it's still deadlier than seasonal flu (pageviews: 2933)
- Paying rent and mortgages during the COVID-19 pandemic (pageviews: 2064)