Another Republican candidate for governor names running mate
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — The Utah race for governor is filling out, with another Republican candidate choosing a running mate. Salt Lake County Council member Aimee Winder Newton announced Tuesday that her lieutenant governor pick is State Auditor John Dougall.
When a gubernatorial runs for office, who they choose as their running mate is essentially campaigning for the position of lieutenant governor.
Newton said Dougall’s knowledge of tax policy and history of pushing for trims to government programs will be valuable assets. He has served as state auditor since 2013 and a state lawmaker for a decade before that.
She is one of several candidates vying for the GOP nomination, and the third candidate to name a running mate. Former U.S.-Russia ambassador Jon Huntsman Jr. and ex-GOP chair Thomas Wright have also named running mates.
Huntsman named Provo Mayor Michelle Kaufusi as his running mate in early February, whom he said would bring an “important local perspective.” Kaufusi is the first woman mayor of Provo after being elected in 2017, running on a platform of pushing for strong neighborhood, vibrant economic development and responsible fiscal management.
After that, current Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox announced his running mate Thursday: Utah Sen. Diedre Henderson. In a video announcing the campaign ticket, Henderson said her experience in government would allow her to bring people together.
Henderson has served in the state legislature for eight years, and Cox said he chose her because of her willingness to do what is right regardless of consequences.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- Opinion: Is it time to retire the $100 bill and move to cashless society?
- Fourth of July weekend weather conditions ripe for fires
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City
- Iron County Care and Share
- 8-year-old boy struck by car in Riverton, suffers head injury