SANTIAGO, Dominican Republic — A missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints serving in the Dominican Republic, Santiago, mission died in a car accident Saturday afternoon.
Elder Israel Emmanual Ramírez Díaz, 20, from Ecatepec, Mexico, was one of the missionaries who died in the car accident. He had been serving in the mission since April 2018.
Díaz was with two other missionaries in the crash: Elder Jonata Maia Oliveria, 20, from Fortaleza, Brazil, and Elder Brigham Darian Tovar Noriz, 20, from Atotonilco de Tula, Hidalgo, Mexico.
They were both injured and are currently receiving medical attention. Local authorities report the crash is still under investigation.
“We express our deepest sympathies to the family and loved ones of Elder Ramírez who have witnessed his valuable contribution among those whose lives he touched,” said Daneil Woodruff, media releations manager of the church, in a statement. “May the Lord give them comfort and strength at this difficult time.”
Woodruff said the church is working to ensure the recovering missionaries receive the best care possible.
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick (pageviews: 27327)
- Police: Man turns himself in after killing Tinder date (pageviews: 6865)
- FACT CHECK: Can hand sanitizer catch fire in your car? (pageviews: 6175)
- FACT CHECK: Can hand sanitizer catch fire in your car? | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 5062)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is opening 14 more temples (pageviews: 4336)
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 3766)
- Hope In Darkness (pageviews: 3341)
- Police say woman killed after meeting a man on a Tinder date (pageviews: 2473)
- Family releases statement after woman murdered on Tinder date (pageviews: 2074)