Utah jobless claims down 23% week-over-week
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Department of Workforce Services says state residents filed 9,057 new jobless claims last week, down 23% from the week before.
The three areas of the economy affected most by recent layoffs according to the DWS were Office and Administrative Support (13%), Sales and Related Occupations (11%), and Food Preparation and Serving (7%).
Insurance Division director Kevin Burt says that he’s been grateful for the patience of everyone involved in the process of getting these unemployment claims filed.
“We are grateful for everyone that has continued to be patient as the incredible staff process this record volume of claims and meet this demand, with the state moving to the orange moderate risk factor, we remind claimants returning to work to accurately report wages earned during your weekly claim.”
The DWS also reports 3,305 individuals also ended their unemployment insurance claim last week as well.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office being sued after former cadet reports abuse
- Snow expected to impact Wednesday evening commute
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans
- Expert joins Inside Sources on women accessing homeless resources
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- How to deal with and overcome seasonal depression
- Woman charged in February fatal car crash in West Valley City
- 191st Semiannual General Conference gets underway in Salt Lake City
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is opening 14 more temples