Downed power lines and fire force evacuations in SLC
SALT LAKE CITY — A structure fire and downed powerlines forced the evacuations of some residents in Salt Lake City Friday morning near Smith’s Ballpark.
Salt Lake City Fire says crews on the scene near 1366 Major Street were also dealing with downed power lines in the area.
Crews are still working at this incident. Three noble homes involved pic.twitter.com/pGUwIC5yT7
— Salt Lake City Fire Department (@slcfire) May 11, 2020
Firefighters were called out to the area near 13th South and State Street shortly after 5:30 AM. Initial reports are of three mobile home units that caught fire.
Captain Anthony Burton says two of the mobile homes have extensive damage, while a third unit is totally destroyed. There are no estimates of damage for the first two.
Crews continue to focus on the destroyed home after receiving initial reports of a person trapped inside.
“That trailer has extensive damage,” explains Captain Burton. “We haven’t been able to completely search that mobile home at this point to confirm that we don’t have a victim.”
Officials also aren’t putting a number to how many people are being evacuated. Due to the downed power lines, power is being shut off to the entire mobile home community.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Death penalty off the table for Lori Vallow Daybell
- BYU announces new president
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation
- Semi hits car on I-15 in Kaysville, one person taken to hospital
- Bicyclist hit, killed by FrontRunner train in Salt Lake City
- Cox signs bill requiring lethality assessments in Utah domestic violence cases
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County
- Snow causing roofs to collapse across the state, expert offers helpful tips
- Somebody wants the Bible removed from Davis County school libraries