Two people and more than a dozen dogs died in Idaho crash
SALT LAKE CITY — A single-vehicle crash early Friday morning on I-15 near Shelley, Idaho, claimed the lives of two people who were transporting 48 dogs. More than a dozen dogs died in the crash.
Idaho State police say the driver and a passenger were from Arizona. They were traveling northbound in a box truck when the truck drifted onto the left shoulder.
The truck then drove into the median and hit an embankment. No other cars were involved, and an investigation into the crash continues.
Police have identified the female passenger as Ann Watson, 38, of Phoenix, Arizona who was pronounced dead at the scene. She was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash.
The driver has been identified as Christopher Kracht, 40, of Phoenix, Arizona. He was taken by air ambulance to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls where he later died from his injuries. Police say Kracht was wearing his seat belt at the time of the crash.
The couple was transporting 48 dogs of mixed breeds and sizes. The dogs were being taken to Calgary, Alberta, Canada for adoption. Police say all of the dogs appeared to be in kennels in the back of the box truck that crashed.
Troopers say that 14 of those dogs died from the crash. Nearly 20 dogs have been found.
The Blackfoot Animal Shelter and Rescue is helping with the handling of the remaining dogs as are local veterinarians.
At the time of publication, 16 dogs were still unaccounted for. Idaho State Troopers say they have been unable to locate any more of the missing dogs.
Anybody who locates a stray animal in the area of the crash is asked to contact Bingham County animal control, at (208) 785-6897.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- Letters from surviving roommates read at church memorial service for slain University of…
- Authorities swat down rumors surrounding unsolved killings of 4 University of Idaho students
- Lawmakers propose all-day kindergarten bill, UEA fully supports it
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Biden extends student loan repayment freeze as program remains in court
- Bob McGrath, original ‘Sesame Street’ cast member, dead at 90