Utah missionary killed in Georgia bike accident
LAFAYETTE, Ga. — A Utah man serving as a missionary in the Tennessee Knoxville Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints died after a bike accident in Georgia.
Elder McKay Bergeson, 19, of Bountiful, was struck by a vehicle while riding his bike in LaFayette, Georgia, a small city near the Tennessee state line and considered part of the greater Chattanooga metropolitan area.
In a statement, church officials said his missionary companion was not hurt in the bike crash.
Elder Bergeson had been serving in the region since December.
Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff wrote, “We express our sympathy and heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones as they mourn his passing and remember his life.”
Today’s Top Stories
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- West Valley house fire leaves 80-year-old dead
- Sinema leaving the Democratic Party and registering as an independent
- Two Utah experts talk about prisoner swap for WNBA player Brittney Griner
- Update: Some I-15 lanes reopen after hazmat spill in Bluffdale
- Families of Hunter High shooting victims unhappy with plea deal
- Highland man dies in snowmobile accident in Wasatch County
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans
- DWR and UDOT introducing new app Utah Roadkill Reporter
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run