Police searching for suspect after fatal shooting of Sandy teen
SANDY, Utah — Police are looking for a suspect in a fatal shooting Friday morning that resulted in the death of a 17-year-old. It happened near 1100 East, Saphire Drive.
Fred Jayne, who lives nearby, heard the shots. “It was just like somebody banging on a lid,” said Jayne, who said it did not sound like a larger caliber gun. Jayne said neighbors rushed to the boys aid and administered CPR until paramedics arrives. Police said the boy eventually died at the hospital from multiple gunshot wounds.
Jayne said he has seen the victim and his brother skateboarding in the neighborhood, but didn’t know their names. “I’ve never seen any problems there at all,” Jayne said of the house.
Several home surveillance cameras captured images of what police believe is the suspect’s vehicle. It’s an older green Ford Explorer, with gold trim. They’re asking anyone who may have seen the vehicle, to call the police.
Officers say they don’t believe there is any concern for nearby resident safety.
— Sandy Police (@Sandy_Police) May 22, 2020
Saphire Drive will be closed for the next several hours.
This story is developing and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips
- SLCPD arrest two people in connection to a Wednesday shooting
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- One person dead following a stabbing in Salt Lake City suspect still at large
- Bill would require buildings to post signs for events meant for adults
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Bill to set target water level for the Great Salt Lake dries up
- Eyeing retirement: How much money is enough after you leave a job?